Asteroid warning: NASA tracks rock with the force of a nuclear bomb — 5% chance of impact — News 24

Thanks for watching my video.

If you like my videos, please subscribe to the channel to receive the latest videos

For any copyright, please send me a message.  NASA’s tracking systems predict there is a 5.3 percent chance of the asteroid striking Earth over a 10-year timeline. The asteroid, dubbed 2010 RF, is being tracked by NASA’s Center for Near Earth Object Studies (CNEOS). NASA’s CNEOS is home to Sentry – an automated asteroid tracking system that calculates the odds of impact with asteroids headed our way. The US space agency said: “Sentry is a highly automated collision monitoring system that continually scans the most current asteroid catalogue for possibilities of future impact with Earth over the next 100 years. “Whenever a potential impact is detected it will be analysed and the results immediately published here, except in unusual cases where we seek independent confirmation.” Asteroid RF is a relatively small space rock but it packs a punch, according to NASA’s calculations.  READ MORE NASA’s Hubble snaps the interstellar comet Borisov near the Sun  Just before impact, the asteroid could hit Earth at speeds of around 5.10km per second or 11,408mph (18,360km/h). Then, at the point of contact with the planet, the asteroid would accelerate to about 12.26km per second or 27,424mph (44,134km/h). NASA further estimates the rock weighs a staggering 500,000kg or 1.2 million pounds. The above factors combined would result in a brute impact comparable to a small nuclear bomb being detonated. NASA’s Sentry estimates the rock would pack the force of a 9 kiloton blast – the equivalent of 9,000 tons of TNT. NASA said: “Great care must then be taken to verify any Earth collision predictions that are made. “Given the extremely unlikely nature of such a collision, almost all of these predictions will turn out to be false alarms. “However, if an object is verified to be on an Earth colliding trajectory, it seems likely that this collision possibility will be known several years prior to the actual event. “Given several years warning time, existing technology could be used to deflect the threatening object away from Earth.” Thankfully, Asteroid RF is relatively tiny and many years from its first potential impact date.  READ MORE Asteroid bombshell: Shock discovery from study of Near-Earth Object  The asteroid is only estimated to measure about 22.9ft (7m) across – not enough to survive slamming into the atmosphere. And the first potential impact date is predicted to fall on September 5, 2095. On this date, there is only a 0.36 percent chance of impact or a 99.64 percent chance the rock will miss Earth. After that, the asteroid could potentially hit Earth on September 4, 2096, with an even smaller 0.00012 percent chance of impact. There are 10 dates on which the asteroid could hit Earth between 2095 and 2099. Trending  The cu